Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Buy Black Wednesdays 4: The Black Statue of Liberty

The Black Statue of Liberty

Bring me your tired, your poor, your hungry
Those who are suffering from white supremacy
Those who bleach their skin, hair and souls
Bring me your pimps, your criminals, your hoes
Your coons, uncle toms and sambos
Your dope dealers, crack heads and fiends
Zombies, abused, misused and unclean
Your sell outs, drop outs and cop outs
Those who are hopeless, helpless
And plagued with doubt and loss of identity
I am free and I set free
I am the Black Statue of Liberty

I am Buy Black Wednesdays
I am the redistribution of black wealth
I am self sufficiency
I am the robust revitalization of black health
I am umoja - black unity
I am the knowledge and love of self
I am ujima - collective work and responsibility
I am the giant Supernova dwarfed in every black elf
I am the torchbearer who has shown the way for centuries
I am the Black Statue of Liberty

I am Buy Black Wednesday
Ujamaa - Cooperative Economics
The beginning of the reconstruction
Of Black Sovereignty
One day a week to renew my vows
And to express my conviction and loyalty
One day a week I promise the ancestars
I will honor all of black history
Until this weekly practice becomes
A full time way of life for all of us
And every African is free!
I am the Black Statue of Liberty!

I am the night adorned with a Crown of Stars
And the golden torch you call the sun
I am the light of the world in every black body
I am the Original who came before everyone
I am every brother and sister who walks the earth
I am the co creator of the universe
I am the the ripest fruit of my incomparable AncesTree
I am the Black Statue of Liberty

I have come up from over 400 years of slavery
And persevered with the whole world against me
I have carried more weight on my shoulders than Atlas
And accomplished more feats of labor than Hercules
I am the living embodiment of all those crucified
And resurrected - no need to look backward
Or forward in history
For millions of years I've roamed the earth
And sheperded Galaxies across the universe
And still I rise...triumphantly
I am the Black Statue of Liberty

Oh ye children of the earth
Look no further if you want to see the likes of God
His power and glory!
Behold! All of your legends, myths, gods and heroes
Real or fabricated, pale beside me
I am the hope of the world
The embodiment of Divinity
At least one day a week I vow
To help set a new trend every Wednesday
And spend money within my community
Because my discipline is the key
I am the Black Statue of Liberty!
(c) 6-30-2011
(2nd draft work in progress)

This poem was partially inspired by the Urban Legend
that the original statue of liberty was a black woman,
used a black woman as the model, and was symbolic
of black people and our struggle for freedom! Even
if the legend/myth is not true it does seem appropriate
...or shall we say: propah!

No comments:

Post a Comment